Todays market has so many different anti-snoring devices available. Finding the right solution for your snoring can seem like a daunting task. Many of these devices are unproven or work by keeping you awake at night. Fortunately, there are plenty of proven techniques that can help you eliminate snoring.
Find the cause of your snoring
Keep a sleep diary to monitor your snoring patterns. Note the different ways you sleep and snore.
- Closed-mouth snoring may indicate a problem with your tongue.
- Open-mouth snoring may be related to the tissues in your throat.
- Snoring when sleeping on your back is probably mild snoring—improved sleep habits and lifestyle changes may be effective cures.
- Snoring in all sleep positions can mean your snoring is more severe and may require a more comprehensive treatment.
Lifestyle changes to stop snoring
- Lose weight: Even if you lose a small amount of weight, you can reduce fatty tissue that cause you to snore in the back of your throat.
- Exercise: Working out to tone your arms, legs, and abs leads to toning the muscles in your throat.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking leads to a higher chance of snoring. Smoking causes the airways to be blocked, also irritating the membranes in the nose and throat.
- Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, and sedatives: Especially before bedtime! They relax the muscles in the throat causing interference of breathing. If you take any prescription medication, talk with your doctor as some encourage a deeper sleep which can make snoring worse.
- Establish regular sleep patterns: Having a bedtime ritual and sticking to it helps you sleep better and often minimizes snoring.
If you have tried self-help solution and do not have any success, Medial treatments could be the answer. Consult your physician or dentist. They offer different solutions that can help!
Jeffery R. Van Treese, D.D.S. has been providing comprehensive dentistry and caring for patients in Sidney since 1987. His practice is located at 2627 Broadway Avenue in Sidney. For a free consultation, he may be reached at 937-492- 6984 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!