According to the ADA, nearly 42,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral or throat cancer this year. Regular oral cancer examinations are the best way to detect oral cancer early on.
The ADA states that if symptoms do not disappear within 2 weeks, make sure to schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Signs and symptoms to look for include:
- Irritation that won’t go away
- Red or white patches
- Pain, tenderness or numbness in the mouth or lips
- A lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving your jaw or tongue
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth